Skip To Main Content

Drivers Education

If you have questions about Drivers Ed or need to sign up for drivers please contact Mr. Brien at  

To self-enroll:

Getting a permit:

  1. You must be 15 years old to take the permit test
  2. $15.00 fee paid at the DMV
  3.  The permit test can be taken here at Innovations. I should be here most days so students can make appointments with me if they want to take the permit test here. They have 2 chances to pass the test with me, after that they need to go to the DMV to take the test. To take the permit test with me they must be 15 and enrolled in the course. 
  4. A student must have their permit 6 months and be 16 before they can get their license.
  5. A student must have proof of legal residency in Utah in order to get their permit/license.


  1. To get credit for the course they must finish the entire course at 80% or better. This will earn them a grade of “P”.
  2. Once the course work is finished, I put in the DMV site that they have finished the course if they submit a copy of their permit. I cannot enter that they have passed the course until they obtain a permit and give me their permit number.
  3. There is a $165.00 fee or fee waiver for the class. They must pay the fee to register for the class.
  4. If they choose to do the Road Test with me it is 25.00, or they may go to the DMV for free.


  1.  I am using Calendly for students to sign up to drive. The link will be on the home page in Canvas.
  2.  All drivers must have their permit with them when driving.
  3.  They need to finish the online simulator called StreetSmarts to compete their drives.
  4.  Students who fail to show up for a drive and do not communicate this to me before the drive there will be a $5.00 fine.  
  5.  If they pass the test with me and finish all the requirements, I print them a certificate and they take it to the DMV to obtain their license.


  1. Once a student graduates from High School they have until Sept. 1st to finish with me after that I cannot drive them.
  2. If a student is 19, they only need to go to the DMV and take the driving test.
    1. If they are 19 and enrolled in school then I can drive them, the Sept. 1st rule does not apply to a 19-year-old. Once they graduate and are 19, I am not allowed to drive them.
  3. At 18 a student does not have to wait the 6-month permit period to get their license, it is only 3 months.
  4.  When going to get their permit/license this is what is needed:
    1. Original BC, Social security, or refugee/Asylum documents, and a legal guardian with a valid Utah license who will accept financial responsibility---If under 18