Meals & Nutrition
MEALS FOR STUDENTS
The Salt Lake City School District recognizes that a poor diet negatively impacts students’ health, and their ability and motivation to learn. The child nutrition program provides students access to the varied and nutritious foods they need to stay healthy and energized to succeed year-round.
Here are a few examples of how we go the extra mile at Salt Lake City School District to provide healthy meals that are affordable and accessible to our students:
- The Salt Lake City School District waives the federal reduced-price meal rate. Therefore, all students who qualify for federal Free or Reduced Meal Benefits are eligible to receive one free student breakfast and one free student lunch each day they attend any of our schools.
- The Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) ensures that all registered students at the school, regardless of income level, are eligible to receive one free breakfast and one free lunch each day they attend. CEP schools include Bennion, Edison, Meadowlark, Liberty, and Riley.
- Breakfast in the Classroom (BIC) significantly increases breakfast consumption among school children and nutritional gains associated with the morning meal. All registered students at the school, regardless of income level, are eligible to receive one free breakfast each day they attend. Participating BIC schools include Backman, Edison, Escalante, Franklin, Liberty, M. Lynn Bennion, Mary Jackson, Meadowlark, Mountain View, North Star, Parkview, Riley, Rose Park, Washington, Glendale Middle, Northwest Middle, SLCSE-Bryant, and Horizonte (high school students).
- The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) was created by the USDA to build healthier school environments and reduce childhood obesity by teaching children healthier eating habits. Schools participating in FFVP include Backman, Edison, Escalante, Franklin, Liberty, M. Lynn Bennion, Mary Jackson, Mountain View, Newman, Nibley Park, North Star, Parkview, Riley, Rose Park, Washington and Whittier.
Salt Lake City School District to Resume Free Meals for Children on September 3
Meals will be free for all children ages 0-18
Find more information here: Grab & Go Meals
September 3, 2020,
Thanks to a last-minute waiver granted by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the Salt Lake City School District (SLCSD) will once again resume "Grab and Go Meal Service" at 16 designated school sites for children to receive a "Lunch Today, Breakfast Tomorrow" combo meal each weekday from Sept. 3, 2020 through Oct. 30, 2020.
No meal service will be provided on weekends or holidays (including Labor Day).
To help ensure safety, all meals will be prepared, packaged and delivered by SLCSD staff directly to each family’s vehicle. For those without a vehicle, walk-up service is also available. Meals for those with specific needs will be made available upon request. Contact our registered dietician, Brianna Hardisty, to determine site location and make additional arrangements, as needed (Brianna.Hardisty@slcschools.org).
This federal seamless food service program is open to the public. Free/reduced meal benefit status and school enrollment is not a requirement. These meals will be provided daily, free of charge, to ALL children ages 0 to 18. Meals will be provided at the sites listed below.
Lunch/breakfast combo meals are served Monday-Friday at all sixteen (16) designated school sites between the hours of 11:00 to 12:30 p.m.
For questions or concerns, please contact the Child Nutrition Office: (801) 974-8380
Salt Lake City School District
Emergency Meal Summer Sites (September through October 30, 2020)
Backman Elementary (South Parking Area – Enter from 1500 West)
601 North 1500 West, Salt Lake City, Utah
Clayton Middle (Southeast Parking Area – Located by front doors)
1470 South 1900 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
East High School (West Parking Area – Enter from 900 South)
840 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
Edison Elementary (U-shaped Driveway – Located in front of school)
430 South Cheyenne Street, Salt Lake City, Utah
Escalante Elementary (West Parking Area - Enter from 900 North)
1810 West 900 North, Salt Lake City, Utah
Glendale Middle School (Northwest Parking Area)
1430 West Andrew Avenue, Salt Lake City, Utah
Highland High School (East Parking Area – Located next to main entrance)
2166 South 1700 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
Liberty Elementary (Southeast Parking Area)
1085 South 300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
M. Lynn Bennion Elementary (Parking Area – Located next to loading docks)
429 South 800 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
Meadowlark Elementary (Northeast Parking Area)
497 North Morton Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah
Nibley Park School (Main Entrance - Driveway)
2785 South 800 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
Northwest Middle (South Parking Area)
1730 West 1700 North, Salt Lake City, Utah
Parkview Elementary (Northwest Parking Area)
970 South Emery Street, Salt Lake City, Utah
Rose Park Elementary (West Parking Area – Located next to main entrance)
1105 West 1000 North, Salt Lake City, Utah
West High School (U-shaped Driveway – Located North of building next to cafeteria entrance)
241 North 300 West, Salt Lake City, Utah
Whittier Elementary (North Parking Area – Enter from Roberta Street)
- South 300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027), found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.
Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
STUDENT MEAL PRICES
Elementary Schools: Breakfast $1.00 / Lunch $2.00
Middle Schools: Breakfast $1.20 / Lunch $2.30
High Schools: Breakfast $1.20 / Lunch $2.50
ADDITIONAL MEAL OPTIONS
Adult Meal: Breakfast $2.50 / Lunch $3.50
Note: Second student meals and non-enrolled children will be charged the adult meal price.
Single Food Items: Entrée $2.00 / Fruit, Vegetable, or Side Dish $1.00 / Milk or Juice $0.50
For information regarding child nutrition https://www.slcschools.org/departments/child-nutrition
School Menu (pending)
Summer Meal Program