A message from our principal...
Welcome to the Innovations High School website. I invite you to learn more about our school, our teachers, and our unique format. Through your exploration of this site, you will be amazed at the flexibility and opportunities that our award winning school provides.
Our team has created the only school of its kind in the country and we are proud to be able to bring this option to you. Innovations High offers students the ability to take courses as they choose whether in a blended learning environment using digital textbooks, or in a traditional “brick and mortar” class, or through courses that provide industry certificates that demonstrate employable skills. Additionally, students have the option of taking courses at a local high school or at the Salt Lake Community College.
We invite you to come and visit. We believe students are better served in this customized, self-directed learning environment that is rich with technology and flexibility.
We think you will like what you see. Our students think you will “love it”.
Welcome to Innovations High School.
Innovations High School provides your child a completely new learning environment. It is both convenient and flexible.
- Innovations High School is a public school open to all students in the Salt Lake City School District.
- Students may move with their grade level or faster based upon their commitment to their learning goals.
- Your student will create a Personalized Education Plan with their counselor. This plan is designed to meet the needs of each student as they work towards graduation, and to be career and college ready while considering their unique learning style and needs.
- Our focus is to assist your student in planning and successfully meeting their personalized education goals.
For more information, contact us today!
How is Innovations High School different?
Specifically different from a traditional school, Innovations High School:
- provides students with access to blended learning regardless of time;
- provides high quality courses for all students; provides online blended learning options to allow students to acquire the knowledge and technology skills necessary in a digital world;
- utilizes the power and scalability of technology to customize education so that students may learn in their own style preference and at their own pace;
- utilizes technology to remove the constraints of traditional classroom learning allowing students to access learning at any time and in any place and facilitating flexibility to take advantage of their peak learning time;
- provides personalized learning where students can spend as much time as needed to master the material;
- provides greater access to self-paced programs enabling high-achieving students to accelerate academically, while struggling students have additional time and help to gain competency;
- allows students to customize their schedule to better meet their academic goals and to have an individualized educational experience; and
- provides quality-learning options to better prepare students for post-secondary education and career opportunities.
A typical day at Innovations High School
A student may attend school each day between 7 am - 5 pm. When on campus they will be involved in teacher led student skill groups, study groups, a group project session, and working alone on the determined courses. An advisory school meeting will be held each Wednesday to establish a culture of success by recognizing individual student achievement with immediate feedback.
Customized learning in many directions
A student has the opportunity to dynamically customize their schedule with a few limiting constructs. Students may also take a course at their boundary school, Career and Technical Center, or at the college. Through the personalized education plan, a student may take anywhere from one to eight courses at a time. We believe that managing four to five courses at a time creates opportunities for students to find immediate success in their courses. A student may complete a course as quickly as they demonstrate competency, with the capacity to begin taking a new course immediately thereafter.
This approach allows students the capacity to focus more deeply on fewer subjects at a time if they choose, thus increasing their motivation, sense of accomplishment, and empowered self-paced learning.
What roles will technology play?
Innovations High School will employ the following technology-enabled strategies:
- Online, self-paced courses
- Rich multimedia and interactivity
- Competency and deeper learning-based curriculum
- Mastery-based progression/modularization
- Access to online courses for college credit
- Adaptive digital content
- Learning labs
- Game-based learning
- Digital content creation
- Delivery and access through a course management system
- Embedded assessments
- Social networks for student collaboration
Partnered with the Salt Lake Community College and the Salt Lake District's Career and Technical Education Center shared campus, a seamless and visible transition between K-12 and higher education becomes a viable option for every student. The facility, completed April 2012, is open year round with extended daily hours. It is equipped with labs, technology, and classrooms designed for collaboration and individualized learning. It is a place where the best of both worlds is intertwined into a full-service learning experience; a place where college and careers becomes an absolute partnership with high school. A place where students are empowered and parents and teachers are liberated with real-time data about performance and progress. A place where every student has control over time, place, path, and pace.